Friday, May 22, 2009

Joey Update Vol. 13

Hey everybody! Much has happened in the past month. Here's a brief summary:
I was in AMS doing one of three things. I took some little break, I helped
in teaching and I also learned a bunch of computer stuff. I've run the gamut
of experience it seems. I did take some pictures of some of my excursions,
but I'll have to see about putting them up some other time.

While there in AMS I heard news that fighting had begun in my country. This
was made more clear when the team here moved from the town to the capital,
which they would only do if the situation warranted it. I said some prayers
for a clearing of the situation and soon after it began, it ended! It was
not as bad as it might have been, all fighting contained and stopped out
east of our town. Praise Him it was no worse and praise Him again that now
it is quiet again.

Since I arrived back on Sunday, I was in preparation to hit the ground
running and still am. We have some ambitious goals to reach in the next
weeks and months. This might be helped because we have no more travel plans
for 5 months, so that means we stay put to get down to business.

I've missed being away; a month is a long time to be away from people and
places you've grown to love. I am glad I am back. While in AMS I listened to
some recorded stories from N. speakers as part of training and it made me
miss them all the more. Well, now I'm back and look forward to getting this
project work properly started. From here on it, language learning is not our
chief goal (though it will of course continue) but to get stories crafted
and recorded. The first to come this week. Here's our rough schedule:

By 8 weeks from now, we want to have 5 stories crafted, recorded and tested
multiple times.

By 12 weeks, we want to have our first house group meeting regularly
together and functioning like a normal house (hur(h.

By 4 months from now, 10 to 12 stories finished crafting, recording and
testing widely and ready.

By 6 months, we want the first house group to have started another group to
start the multiplying groups.

Ambitious goals I know, but that's how they stand. As you can imagine,
p'ayer is of utmost importance to us and our work.

Hamdu's:
-My time in AMS was a good well-rounded experience of resting, teaching and
learning
-The fighting has calmed down and now everything is quiet here- Big Praise!
-My language is coming back, albeit slowly.

Dua's:
-For lang. to return and continue strong
-For these above goals, right now for the first story and after for the next
4.
-For great wisdom in choosing and crafting the stories in such a way that
they reach the people's hearts
-Continue building and enriching the relationships we have with the people.

Thanks for bearing with my silences. And thanks always for your p'ayers! I
hope to report excellent news in my next update. Think s@lvations.

-Youssef

No comments: