Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Joey Update Vol. 7

Merry Christmas everyone! We are getting chilly weather over here too actually (and while we didn’t quite get snow, we DID have a bunch of locusts fly overhead the other day, which if you use your imagination and squint just right- still doesn’t quite equal snow)

Anyway, my month has gone well overall. There have been the usual ups and downs of language learning and meeting people. These go with good days and bad days. A verse we happened upon in house kanisa has kept returning to my mind these past weeks. I will share it here: “Who has despised the day of small things?” (Zech. 4:10a) This is encouraging to me when those days come when I have been sick or tired. It is important to remember that our Father is still working when we are unable. It is in fact all His work and my part in it all is His grace. We’ve been studying 2 Cor. In house kanisa and one of the last verses has become my memory verse: “Therefore my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.” In recent weeks I have tried to do just this and He has been faithful to bless me in it.

Last week, I was walking around, and found two guys sitting outside their house. They happened to speak N. and I told them I was here to learn their language and would like to meet others who speak it. Somehow or another, an opportunity opened and I took it to share my story and the Story. People gathered around to hear, as they usually do whenever I stop anywhere- being one of the few nasara in town has its advantages. It was not a dramatic experience that day, but as I have been reminded, the work is His and not mine. How will I know in years to come how much our Father has done through the time I spent here, or the time you all have spent lifting the work up? Perhaps when we stand in Glory, we shall see there many from this very people group who might say to me, “Remember that time you told me the Story and you thought I wasn’t listening? Well, the Father used it in my life like this…” I look forward to having those conversations and praising His name, who can work in seemingly insignificant ways to bring about such change.

The Day when we will see Him is closer now than it has ever been. And the work still is great. Thank you for being moved by the Lord to participate in finishing the Task. Thank you for your prayers and fastings, for your encouragement to me and your giving to the work I am doing. One day the work shall be finished but until then, we press on together with Him, until the end.

The Hamdu’s:

-There are many long term workers who have joined us in the field here and they have been arriving safely- I think our Father’s on the move in this place.

-Many new relationships have opened up and old ones have deepened. I’ve gotten a few more chances to share the Story!

-Christmas is here and is providing opportunities to share why we celebrate it.


The Dua’s:

-Please lift up a Story trip happening next month, that He would go before them and prepare all hearts to listen.

-Please lift up sound health for our team so that there be no distractions from the work.

-Deepening of these new relationships and further opportunities to share.

-Further lang. learning.


I hope that the joy of this season would find you and abide with you into the new year. I hope your families are well and that the time spent with them is peaceful and blessed, not rushed. A Merry Christmas to you all.

-Youssef

No comments: