Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Proverbs Part VII-I'm Glad I'm not Like that! (Or am I?) (Proverbs 6:16-19)

Two things I hate:

1. Lights left on in an empty room
2. Dryer sheets falling out of a clothes pile and left lying around the house

Those are two of my biggest pet-peeves and I "hate" them.

Isn't it interesting how we use the word "hate" to describe the way we feel about certain pet-peeves? Those pet-peeves usually don't illicit any more than a grumble of complaint under our breath. If the pet-peeve was truly worthy of hate, then wouldn't it be worthy of a much harsher response?

In Proverbs 6:16-19 we are given a list of 7 things that God hates:

1. Haughty eyes
2. A lying tongue
3. Hands that shed innocent blood
4. A heart that devises wicked plans
5. Feet that make haste to run to evil
6. A false witness who breathes out lies
7. One who sows discord among brothers

Your initial response to this list may be, "Phew! I'm glad that's not me! I don't do those things." But don't you? Don't I? Doesn't everyone?

Let's generalize a little bit and in that way get more specific:

Sins of Attitude-Haughty Eyes
Sins of Speech-lying tongue and false witness
Sins of Action-shed innocent blood, run to evil
Sins of Thought-devise wicked plans
Sins of Influence-One who sows discord among brothers

Think about all of the specific sins that could be categorized under these topics. When we see the seven things God hates what we are being told is:

God Hates Sin!

Period. Exclamation point.

But why does God hate it so much?

The word for hate in verse 16 is defined as "intense hatred which alienates" in Hebrew. God hates sin as much as he does (with a perfect hatred) because it alienates us from him stealing from him the glory, honor and praise he is due.

God hates sin because it destroys our relationship with Him.

Look at the last example of what God hates. "One who sows discord among brothers."

God hates sin because it destroys the church from within.



No comments: