Saturday, January 31, 2009

Joey Update Vol. 8

Great story from Joey about how he is allowing God to use him and encouragement to us to not miss those simple opportunities.

I only saw him out of the corner of my eye. I was back in the big market of
NDJ and was headed home. He was sitting by the side of the road, as so many
others and that's when I saw him and something told me to go back. I took
the advice.

He was sitting because he couldn't stand. He hadn't reached out to me
because he couldn't move his arms- they were shrivelled and twisted around
him. He did not call to me because he could not speak very well.

I crouched beside him and got an idea. I removed one of the bananas I had
just bought from it's black plastic bag. I saw his hands folded, so I began
to peel it for him. I handed the banana to him expecting him to take it.
That's when I noticed his arms would not move from their position around
him. Another idea. I would be his hands for him.

He took a big bite and chewed it only a few times before swallowing. I asked
him his name. "Adam," he said. It was the only word he spoke to me. After he
spoke it, I concluded his mouth must be empty. I held the banana to his
lips. Another big bite. Based on how fast he was eating, I thought he'd
probably not eaten much for a while.

With each bite, he had a look in his eye, I noticed, like he expected me to
suddenly take the rest of the banana with me and leave. But I dropped the
last bite of it into his mouth. Then, I prayed for my new friend Adam right
there in Ar.

Maybe I will see him again and maybe I won't. But maybe Adam will not forget
it. I know I will not.

Matthew 25:35-40

*Father, forgive me for missing so man opportunities in my life to feed You
when You were hungry. But thank You for today's opportunity. In those few
moments with Adam, I was changed.

No comments: